Although the girlfriends reunion was short-lived on Blackish it got me to thinking…having girlfriends is one of the most important things you can have. I’m always shocked when I hear women say they don’t get along with women, or they don’t have a good group of girlfriends. I just don’t understand that so today I wanted to share why I think girlfriends are important and what they have taught me so far. I say so far because I am sure they will teach me more.
Life sucks sometimes, bad days happen sometimes, men can be douche bags sometimes, dating apps can depress you, family members get sick, you get sad because you’re single, childless, etc., work sucks, plans don’t work out how you thought and so much more and you know who is always there? Your girlfriends. They are there with a shoulder, tissue paper, jokes, a game plan, a hug, or simply to just be with you.
In my 40 plus years of living I have dealt with all the above and what is always consistent is my girlfriends. Do we disagree sometime? Absolutely. Do I ignore their advice sometime? Heck yeah. But regardless they always have my back and are there for me. I couldn’t ask for better friends and I feel sad for people who don’t have it.
Girlfriends also help you grow. With a good strong group of girlfriends you can conquer the world or at least feel like you can. You never want to be the lazy friend in the group so you keep pushing. You also don’t want to be the smartest. Surround yourself with people who can help you grow, learn and in general be freaking great.
My girlfriends have taught me a lot of things, but here are a few:
• They taught me how to treat them. When people show up and show out for you unless you are crazy you want to do the same.
• They have taught me how to listen.
• They have taught me that just because we don’t have the same issue/problem, it doesn’t mean that mine or theirs is more important. They are equal…period.
• They have taught me to reach out when I need to. It’s okay to ask for help.
• Last but not least they have shown me how to be a good friend. A real friend. And for that I’m thankful.
So why we all were super excited about the short-lived girlfriends reunion…remember you have your own you may need to reunite with and/or find some to start getting to know. Remember, true friendships take time. They don’t grow overnight and you have to put in the work. If you do, it will work out just fine.